Shedding is a natural occurrence for dogs, though sometimes frustrating to their keepers. You cannot prevent a dog from shedding.
But you can choose from the list of the low shedding dog breeds we will talk about in this article.
Many dog keepers search for dogs with hypoallergenic breeds, just like the Maltese.
However, there is no assurance that a “Maltese” mix will not be shed. But it is likely they don’t shed as much as other dogs.
Keep in mind that no dog is completely hypoallergenic, but the dogs listed in this article have low shedding coats that reduce allergy symptoms.
Here is a list of the low shedding dog breeds.
1. Portuguese Water Dog
This dog plunges from the dogs used by Portuguese fishermen for centuries. It was used to catch fish in nets and deliver messages from one boat to another.
It likely shares a predecessor with the Poodle. The poodle was recreated in Germany to become a water retriever.
These dogs sit 20 to 23 inches at the shoulder, and they weigh 42 to 60 pounds. Females sit 17 to 21 inches, and they weigh 35 to 50 pounds.
The Portuguese Water Dog has very wonderful qualities. He has a big sense of humor, fun-filled and tireless. He is also very smart and funny.
Frequently, you may find yourself laughing out while he’s trying to get your attention and acting like a clown.
More about Portuguese water dogs;
- Portuguese Water Dogs do not shed much, which is why they are considered hypoallergenic.
- They are full of energy, and they need about one hour of strong exercise every day.
- They enjoy swimming and are also good companions while jogging.
- Their training should be fun-filled because they get bored easily, though very intelligent.
- Portugues become dangerous and destructive if proper exercise is not given.
- They can live in the home with their families because they love people.
- They mature slower than the other dog breeds.
2. Cesky Terrier Dog
This dog breed plunges from the Sealyham Terrier and Scottish Terrier. It was designed to stalk vermin.
But with their wonderful personality, small size, and average exercise needs, they can be considered a great companion.
They are very playful and loving towards their keepers. Cesky Terrier Dogs are also adaptable to crib life because of their small size and average exercise needs.
They enjoy competing in various dog sports as much as they enjoy cuddling on the sofa.
Cesky Terriers sit about 10 to 13 inches at the shoulder, and they weigh 13 to 30 pounds, although most fall in the pound range of 16- 22 pounds.
More about Cesky terrier dog;
- Cesky Terrier dogs are also known as Bohemian Terrier.
- They tolerate all kinds of climates.
- The color is shades of gray or rarely brown.
- Their place of origin is the Czech Republic.
- Their lifespan is about 12 to 15 years.
As read in history, the Maltese have so many names, like the “The Comforter,” “The Bichon,” “The Maltese Terrier,” etc.
Presently, it is simply recognized as the Maltese. This graceful dog breed is famous for the white silky hair that covers its body.
Back in the day, Maltese used to be in many colors, but presently, they are white. The Maltese shed little because of the absence of an undercoat. This is why it is hypoallergenic.
The solid Maltese weighs about seven pounds at the maturity stage. Males are about ten inches tall, while females are about 9 inches tall.
Generally, the Maltese are healthy, but, just like other breeds, they are susceptible to health conditions like Patellar luxation, Portosystemic liver shunt, Hypoglycemia, Collapsed trachea, etc.
More about the Maltese;
- The Maltese are difficult to train in the house.
- Some of them have weak digestive systems, which makes them picky eaters.
- They are susceptible to fear.
- They are very good therapy dogs.
4. Havanese Dog
Because of their long hair and little-cuddly size, the Havanese dogs have got so many admirers.
In the 1800s, they were bred as a companion dogs to the Cuban aristocracy and got the nickname “Velcro dog” because they were so intimate with their keepers.
The Havanese is so affectionate and loving to everyone, as well as strangers, cats, and children. Its family gets the biggest share of love because it will stick to the keeper’s side at all times.
The Havanese become very anxious when abandoned or left alone. It suddenly becomes unhappy when it’s far from family.
Their males and females are about 8 to 11 inches tall, and they weigh about 7 to 12 pounds.
More about the Havanese;
- It is a companion dog that can get anxious when left alone.
- They eat their stools but stop this at a certain point.
- The Havanese dogs need as much exercise as a bigger dog.
- They can cope with all types of homes but start to bark when they hear strange voices.
- The favorite toy for the Havanese is paper.
5. Bichon Frise
These dogs have strong bodies, white hair, and doll faces. They are a very attractive breed and are sometimes mistaken for the Poodles.
The Bichon Frise connects to various little breeds, such as the Coton de Tulear, the Bolognese, The Havanese, etc.
They developed in the Mediterranean and have been taken along on trade paths into some other countries.
This breed of dogs is generally healthy, but they are susceptible to some health conditions such as bladder problems, allergies, vaccination sensitivity, juvenile cataracts, etc.
The males and females are about 9 to 11 inches tall and also weigh about 7 to 12 pounds.
More about bichon frise dogs;
- It is not easy to housetrain Bichon Frises.
- They do not like to be abandoned for a long time.
- Bichons are very intelligent.
- It is a must to groom your Bichon Frise dog.
- They are susceptible to allergies and skin issues.
- Overprotecting your Bichons can make them spoilt and shy.
Dogs that belong to this breed were firstly designed to be ratters in shops, homes, and stables. They used to be women’s companions, but in the present day, they have become mischievous dogs.
Their predecessors have been in existence since the 17th century, but a more reliable source says they have been in existence since the 19th century.
Affenpinscher dogs are loving and always curious, and they are also always alert. They are always loyal to their family and will protect them from any harm.
Anytime they view anything as a threat, it takes a while for them to calm down afterward. Affenpinschers are about 9.5 to 11.5 inches tall, and they also weigh 7 to 9 pounds.
They deal with diseases like Hip Dysplasia, Patellar Luxation, etc.
More about affenpinscher dogs;
- Crate training is advisable for Affenpinscher dogs because housetraining them is difficult.
- As Affenpinscher dogs’ fur is hypoallergenic, you should not mistake it with non-shedding.
- They do not do well with pets (rodents) because of their history as ratters.
- They are not advised to be in the household with little children.
- Affenpinschers are a rare breed.
The Basenji dog breed was firstly discovered in Congo, Africa. These dogs use their sight and scent to track. In the present day, they are a great and loving family member.
Basenji dogs are recognized as the bark-less dogs from Africa. They attract people with their short coats, erect ears, and small muscular body.
Their wrinkled brows sometimes give troublesome expressions.
The males of Basenji dogs sit 17 inches and weigh 24 pounds, while the females sit about 16 inches and weigh about 22 pounds.
They deal with medical issues like Fanconi Syndrome, Hypothyroidism, etc.
More About Basenji Dogs;
- They do not bark but they are noisy.
- Basenjis are difficult to train.
- They are so energetic.
- They do not relate well with other pets in the household.
- Basenjis are stubborn.
8. Shih Tzu
As read in history, Shih Tzu was designed to be a companion. Do not expect them to retrieve, guard and hunt because that is not their style.
Love and affection are their top feature, and your lap is their favorite place to be.
Generally, their health is good but, sometimes, they go through some health issues such as allergies, hip dysplasia, bladder stones, bladder infections, eye problems, and ear infections, etc.
More about Shih Tzu;
- Shih Tzus are hard to housetrain.
- Their faces’ flat shapes make them prone to heatstroke.
- Shih Tzus coats mat easily.
- They are susceptible to dental issues.
9. Cane Corso
This dog breed plunges from the Roman war dogs, and it is among the many Mastiff dogs. It was initially trained to safeguard properties, hunt games, etc.
Anybody serious about having a dog as a companion should get a Cane Corso dog.
This person needs to provide this dog breed with so much love and guidance to become a great dog.
It is not interested in anyone asides from its family; this makes it give the family wholesome loyalty and love.
The Cane Corso dog is very large. Their males sit about 25 to 27 inches while the females are about 23 to 26.5 inches. They usually need lots of exercise to stay fit.
It should be in your routine to take him for a walk or jog, at least, every day.
More about cane Corso;
- Their coats come in different colors like gray, black, fawn, and red.
- Their ears may be cropped or uncropped.
- They need lots of physical motivation.
- It is not advisable to get a Cane Corso dog if you have not owned a dog before.
- They enjoy talking to people even if they are not expressible.
10. Lagotto Romagnolo
The name “Lagotto Romagnolo” means “lake dog from Romagna,” It is a very good name for this particular breed because these dogs helped in hunting waterfowl in Italy in those days.
They can also be called Romagna Water Dogs and Italian Water Dogs. Presently, these dogs have found a new enthusiasm in truffle hunting, as many of the marshlands in their home have drained.
Their thick coats keep them warm during winter. These breed males are about 17 to 19 inches tall, and they weigh about 28 to 35 pounds.
The females are about 14 to 18 inches tall, and they weigh about 24-31 pounds. Their males are usually larger than the females.
Their teeth should be brushed every day as advised by the veterinary doctor. There may be signs of infection in their ears and paw pads, so they should be always be checked.
Their curly hair can also grow in the ears, which is why it is important to check them weekly.
More About Lagotto Romagnolo;
- This is the only breed used for truffle hunting.
- Their coat is known to be hypoallergenic.
- Lagotto Romagnolos’ coat is water resistant. It does not only make them swim, but it also keeps them warm.
- They are good watchdogs.
- They have an inbred tendency to dig.
11. Chinese Crested
For both sexes, the normal height for the Chinese Crested dog is between 11 to 13 inches. Generally, they weigh up to about 11 pounds.
Chinese Crested Dogs are generally healthy, but they are susceptible to some health conditions such as dental problems, dry eye, and progressive retinal atrophy, etc.
This dog breed is easy to train but still requires some patience because of its stubborn streak. This breed can get frightened easily, so correction should be handled gently.
It is necessary to allow your Chinese Crested dog to get socialized, so allow it to play with other small-sized dogs won’t be a bad idea.
More About Chinese Crested Dogs;
- Chinese Crested dogs are suitable for homes.
- They are very clean.
- They can easily jump through fences and escape, so they should not be left alone.
- Chinese Cresteds adapt well to children.
- Socialization is absolutely necessary for them.
12. Plott Hound
This dog breed was designed to hunt bears in North Carolina more than 150 years ago. They are still used for hunting as of today.
They partake in dog sports. Plotts are more protective and fearless than the normal hound. They are very loyal dogs, and they protect their property.
If a young child tries to take away their food bowls, it can cause problems because they are possessive of their food bowls.
Male Plotts are about 20 to 27 inches tall, and they also weigh about 50 to 70 pounds, while their females are about 20 to 25 inches and weigh about 40 to 65 pounds.
The Plott is known to be bright, confident, courageous, and kind. They are very loyal to their family, and they sometimes scare off strangers but later get used to them.
More about plott hound dogs;
- Socialization is important for this dog breed.
- They must be trained at a very early age.
- They require to exercise every day.
- Plott Hound Dogs require weekly brushing.
- They are not recommended to be left alone with small children.